The occupy movement and the geography of the top 1% in Canada
Authors: Sébastien Breau
The Occupy movement catalyzed public debate on the issue of growing income inequality. This paper examines recent patterns of inequality in Canada, paying particular attention to changes in the characteristics of the top 1% of income earners. At the national level, the gap between the top percentile and the other 99% has widened considerably: in 2006, 11% of the nation’s income was concentrated in the hands of top earners (whose mean income of $344,000 is 11 times that of the average Canadian) compared with 7.7% just 15 years earlier. Beneath such national-level figures lie important geographical differences in the income hierarchy: the thresholds, average incomes and socio-economic characteristics of the top 1% vary widely across provinces and cities. Among the most important spatial shifts observed is the growing concentration of high-income groups in energy-rich Western Canada, where Calgary has become the most unequal city in the country.
Please note that abstracts only appear in the language of the publication and might not have a translation.
Sébastien Breau (2020).
Croissance inclusive : Quel avenir face à l’augmentation des inégalités régionales ?
Institute for Research on Public Policy (IRPP)
Sébastien Breau and Jurgen Essletzbichler (2013).
Environment and Planning A , 1775-1784
Yannick Marchand, Sébastien Breau, and Jurgen Essletzbichler (2017).
The inequality-growth relationship: Evidence from a panel of Canadian regions
Donald J. Savoie Institute
Sébastien Breau, Nick Burkhart, Michael Shin, Yannick Marchand, and Jeff Sauer (2020).
Is it time to start worrying more about growing regional inequalities in Canada?
Canadian Geographer , 542-550
Sébastien Breau and Richard Saillant (2016).
Regional income disparities in Canada: Exploring the geographical dimensions of an old debate
Regional Studies, Regional Science , 463-481