QICSS Bootcamp on Administrative Data Analysis (BADA) Pilot Edition, Summer 2023
June 6, 2023 to June 9, 2023
3535 Queen-Mary Road, Montreal, Canada
9:00AM to 4:30PM
The BADA is a summer school for university students and researchers wishing to conduct analyses with Statistics Canada administrative or linked data.
- Face-to-face training at QICSS (3535 Queen-Mary, Montreal)
- June 6 to 9, 2023 from 9 am to 4:30 pm
- Number of places limited to 15
- Bilingual training. The material distributed will be in English. The language of presentation will be English or French, depending on the preference of the group. Interaction between trainees and trainer will be in English or French, depending on the preference of the group.
The summer school aims to develop participants’ familiarity with the nature and content of the main administrative databases available in Statistics Canada’s Research Data Centres (RDCs). It will also allow participants to master analysis and programming techniques adapted to this type of data and to the RDC environment.
The summer school will focus on three types of data: personal tax data such as LAD and linkages with other administrative databases; linkages between survey and administrative data such as GSS, LISA, or the Extending the Relevance of Longitudinal Files (SLID, NLSCY, LSIC, etc.); and finally, program data (mainly education and immigration). Business data will not be discussed.
- Keynote presentations and guest speakers
- Hands-on workshops on administrative data analysis in the lab with Stata, SAS, or R
- Experience analyzing microdata using one of the following software packages: Stata, R, or SAS (basic familiarity with Stata recommended);
- Completion of a quantitative methods course;
- Ability to obtain access to confidential Statistics Canada data and a commitment to take steps to obtain it before the start of the summer school (see https://www.statcan.gc.ca/fr/microdonnees/centres-donnees/acces; for details, contact the CIQSS for support);
- Written and oral comprehension of English.
Applications will be evaluated to ensure level of prerequisites.
Registration fees if accepted
- Students: $300
- Professors or staff from a QICSS member institution: $600
- Others: $900
Bursaries to help cover travel costs for students from QICSS member institutions will be available.
Call for applications
QICSS invites you to submit your application by March 31, 2023 by completing this form. QICSS adopts a broad and inclusive definition of diversity that goes beyond applicable laws. It encourages all persons, regardless of their characteristics, to apply, including women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities. Please be assured of the confidentiality of this information.
For more information on content and programming, contact Xavier St-Denis at Xavier.St-Denis@inrs.ca.
For questions related to registration, contact email@example.com.