This job posting closes December 5, 2023
The Research Administration Analyst will report to the Director, Finance and Operations, within the Canadian Research Data Centre Network (CRDCN), hosted at McMaster University. CRDCN is a national platform for leading edge research and training in the quantitative social and population health sciences, creating social, economic, health and environmental benefits for Canadians. The Network is one of Canada’s major science initiatives and provides researchers across Canada with unique access to Statistics Canada survey and administrative data to conduct advanced statistical research and training. A Research Administration Analyst is needed within the Finance and Operations portfolio to assist with the day to day operations of the Network. The incumbent must have experience working within a robust governance structure, supporting various committees in a national multi-site organization and planning events and meetings. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word and experience using PeopleSoft (Mosaic) are assets for this role.
Responsible for the coordination and administration of research grant programs including, but not limited to those seeking funding from federal and provincial government sources which focus on capital infrastructure, faculty renewal, capacity building, fellowships and scholarships programs, and internal competitions.
- Provide administrative support in the development, coordination, and submission of research proposals, including those characterized as institutional, by gathering and compiling information from a broad range of sponsors and programs, and developing procedures and tools to serve the University research community.
- Interpret and communicate applicable policies, procedures, and guidelines to project leaders.
- Provide internal timelines and deadlines to researchers for select programs and reports.
- Provide advice to researchers and recommend changes to their funding proposals to ensure compliance eligibility requirements.
- Gather information from investigators including, but not limited to construction estimates, salary information, and vendor quotes for preparing budgets.
- Prepare and revise multi-party, multi-funding, and multi-year budgets throughout the various stages of proposal development.
- Check and verify budget calculations for funding and grant proposals, and analyze the eligibility of matching fund contributions and ensure appropriate audit back-up has been received.
- Project annual cash flow by category and by source of funds.
- Work with colleagues and researchers to resolve post award concerns.
- Create spreadsheets for annual accounting and trend mapping of internal and external research funding which may include information about accounts and amounts for transfer of funding.
- Create award and account notices to document the terms and conditions of the funding.
- Update and maintain information in databases.
- Conduct data quality and validity reviews to ensure the integrity of data required for institutional reporting purposes.
- Proofread agreements from primary sponsors and identify changes in language and reporting requirements.
- Write and maintain a variety of documents including, but not limited to standard operating procedures, program documents and procedures, statistical summary reports and meeting minutes.
- Draft guidance documents for proposal preparations and prepare instructional documents for post award management.
- Assemble and collate guidance document packages for applicants and file management.
- Review past funding history of researchers to determine their eligibility for new funding.
- Respond to information requests from internal and external colleagues, collaborators, and agencies.
- Coordinate and attend meetings as required.
- Assemble application packages as required.
- Ensure the maintenance of filing and electronic record retention.
- Secure appropriate signatures for various documents.